How to Carve Out Your Own Slice of Independence

How to Carve Out Your Own Slice of Independence

Reader Comments (12)

  1. Great article, Sonia! I think it is funny how so many Americans celebrate “Independence” while they are stuck in their own place of “dependence.” Going to jobs they hate, living in cities they care less for, and being in unhealthy relationships. To truly celebrate and love your own independence, I like how you talked about building out your own dreams along the way with a micro-business. You never know if that “micro” biz will blow up until you put some blood, sweat, and tears into building it! you could have the next resource like Reddit, or Facebook πŸ˜‰ Thanks for this!

  2. Great thoughts, Sonia! Your views are equally applicable for people from other parts of the world.

    Even if we still have to show up at an office for food, when we keep learning, we can be more resilient to economic changes.

  3. Great thought, Sonia! Independence is such a hugely important word today! I, for one, am a senior who has worked as a freelance editor, writer, and coach for about 12 years. Just this year I decided to take my services to the internet by means of a blog. I find it challenging, particularly in the technical sense (!), but very exciting in every other way. Independence is definitely the strongest motivator for me!

    I always enjoy and appreciate your content! Thanks for sharing with us!

    • That’s excellent! Best of luck to you with it. πŸ™‚

      The technical bits can definitely be daunting at first, but it smooths out. And if you decide you just don’t want to fuss with it, you can try something more turnkey. (We have options.) πŸ™‚

  4. I think your thoughts are spot on. I’m also surprised that the number of freelancers in the US is so high, though. I can’t agree more on the fact that we can’t assume a traditional job format will be there forever. Things are changing; we live longer, and we need or are forced to retire younger. Your thoughts align with my cultural background upbringing regarding work: do more than one thing for a living, and make sure at least one of them is something your can do on your own and at any age. I don’t think I’ll ever want to retire, but rather do whatever I like most, freely.

  5. Hi Sonia,

    Loved the article and I agree that it’s important to work towards our freedom to do what we really love.

    Continual learning is a must for anyone who is trying to achieve freedom. Things change so much on the Internet, the only way that we’ll ever be successful is if we take the time to learn.

    If we start working towards or freedom and building our own income online right now, we won’t have to worry about our future.

    Thanks for taking the time to share this πŸ™‚


  6. Hi Sonia. I would be curious too about how the 35% of freelancers break down. I’m more curious about the other 65%. Why don’t they have something going on, either as a primary income or as a side-hustle? I wonder how many of them don’t even know that it is an option?

    I completely agree with points 1 and 3. Always expanding and always learning.

    Regarding #2, additional revenue doesn’t have to come from a product or service that you create yourself. Network marketing and affiliate marketing are great options when done properly.

    They are the 2 areas where I play because I have very little interest in product creation but I am very interested in my own freedom.

    Excellent post, Sonia. Thank you.

  7. Thank you Sonia for doing a great justice to this topic.

    Short and concise.

    I also agree that knowledge is the greatest asset we have, since ignorance on it’s own is a deadly disease. One thing that is even bigger is application. I may read this post and grab all the ideas. Even understand the concept fully. But if I don’t apply them to my own life, it will be knowledge wasted.

This article's comments are closed.